One of those days

6 Jul

Ever have one of those days where you are two or three missteps behind? If so, then you can relate to Robin…as today was a “special” day for her.

First off, we had a lovely holiday weekend with Andy’s brother and his family AND Robin’s mom, her little brother (Sam) and his family. Robin’s family drove four hours one way to hang out with us, and Andy’s brother drove 45 minutes one way to pick us up, host a bbq at his house, and then drive us back to Tango. We ate delicious grilled food, watched men turn into boys with fireworks, made campfires to light marshmallows on fire, caught crabs to let them go, squished ourselves around small tables to eat together, kayaked to Skunk Island, and hoisted brave souls up the bosun’s chair just to see how high they could go. Very nice to start catching up on all the years apart. It was family heaven for us, and we are grateful to everyone for their car sacrifices!

So, after this lovely holiday weekend full of visiting family (did I mention we made room for nine people to sleep aboard Tango?), it was time for us to sail on from Port Hadlock to Elliott Bay in Seattle. Perhaps all this weekend fun dulled Robin’s brain a bit…but whatever the cause…she wasn’t on top of her game!

First event. As we prepped to leave dock, Robin saw that Andy had disconnected bow dock lines and laid them on the deck. So, she disconnected the rest of the port lines while her family said goodbye, and told Andy he had the helm (all without checking that all the lines really were disconnected). Throwing the engines in reverse, Andy and Tango valiantly tried to leave dock, but something just was not quite right. Tango kept twisting oddly and wouldn’t exit the slip. “Hmmm,” says Robin in her head, “what’s going on? Is it the wind?” Duh, we still had an errant bow line cleated off on the starboard side! Points to Andy for noticing this first! Lesson learned…always double check your lines. Sam disconnected the line for us while embarrassment colored Robin’s cheeks. We finally pulled away from dock and started heading down towards Oak Bay while everyone shouted their goodbyes again. The line event is something that never happened before…nor will it ever happen again!

Second event. Robin started mentally running through the leaving-dock-checklist to make sure she didn’t forget anything (this would have been good to do while still AT the dock!). The harbormaster/owner in Port Hadlock had kindly given us key fobs for his new fancy door system, while extracting a promise for us to PLEASE return them when we left. No problem, we Promise! Heading out to the channel, Robin remembers this promise. Panic moment and then a quick call to her mom, “please run back to the slip and grab something from me.” After an over the water envelope-full-of-fobs exchange from tip of bow to end of slip, the promise could be kept. Thank you, mom!

What are we at now, goodbye number three? Finally, we turned around and headed out. We motored through the Port Townsend canal, and cleared the bridge to Indian Island no problem. There were no height markers to tell us true height, but on the charts its height is 58 feet and our mast is 54 feet. We held our breath a bit, but Andy planned it well to keep both tide and current on our side.

The on-board family ribbing level stayed high as we motor sailed along in light winds (light until we passed Admiralty Inlet). After Robin slipped and fell down the steps a few times the family started to feel sorry for her, and laid off the teasing just a bit.

The beauty of the Puget Sound and the Seattle cityscape outlined by Mount Rainier wiped away the mishaps. We pulled into the Elliott Bay marina (just three miles from the Space Needle) around 5 pm. A lovely day on the water, and the joy of a few weeks to explore a new city.

Peyton enjoys being swung back and forth on the boom when we sail…and so does Max.

2 Responses to “One of those days”

  1. haanli July 7, 2014 at 4:41 pm #

    You reminded me of a similar situation with failing to release lines. I was taking my family out for a night sail on the Chesapeake and, as I started backing out, my son said something about a line still being connected. What do 16 year olds know? The bow swung hard and the bow pulpit went through the windshield of the power boat next door. Here’s the interesting part of the story…Of course, I left a note on the guys boat assuming responsibility and offering to pay damages. I received an exorbitant bill in the mail and knew I was paying too much but felt guilty enough to pay it. Many years later I received a check in the mail from the owner, He explained that he was an alcoholic and going the AA program and needed to make past transgressions right. He had been feeling guilty for overcharging me all those years.

    • four2tango July 7, 2014 at 5:01 pm #

      That is the best story, Hank!!! We love it!

Talk to us!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: